FAQ's - Motor Vehicle

Expand/Collapse All

Manufactured Home Forms - Where can I get Manufactured Homes Forms?

New Resident Vehicle Registration: I just moved to Colorado. How long do I have until I have to register my vehicles?

    • Residency Requirements
    • Licensing a Vehicle
    • Renewals can be done by walk-in, mail or on-line by clicking the following link On-line Vehicle Renewals. Your insurance must be current and you must be within your 30 day grace period to renew on-line. On-line renewals include a non-refundable Portal Administration Fee of 2.70% of the total transaction amount if paid by credit card, or $1.00 per transaction if paid by e-check.
    • License Plates
    • Insurance - We must see a current Colorado insurance card.  Colorado insurance is always required when registering your vehicle on-line or in person.

Buying or Selling a vehicle - What are my responsibilities?

Lost title - How do I apply for a duplicate title?

    Duplicate title information

    Duplicate title application can be mailed to either Clerk and Recorder's Office location in La Plata County.


    Bayfield- Map
    1199 Bayfield Parkway
    P.O. Box 1746
    Bayfield, 81122

    Durango - Map
    679 Turner Drive, Ste C
    Durango, 81303


How may I obtain an application for Persons with Disabilities Parking Privileges?

When is Secure and Verifiable Identification required?

    Secure and Verifiable ID is required to obtain:
    • New Titles
    • Duplicate Titles (original title issued on or after 07/01/2006)
    • New Registrations
    • New Temporary Registration Permits
    • New Placards

    The following types of identification are Secure and Verifiable:
    • Any Colorado Driver License, Colorado Driver Permit or Colorado Identification Card, current or expired one year or less. (Valid temporary paper license with invalid Colorado Driver’s License, Colorado Driver’s Permit, or Colorado Identification Card, expired one year or less is acceptable.)
    • Out-of-state issued photo driver’s license or photo identification card, photo driver’s
    permit current or expired one year or less.
    • U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card, current or expired less than 10 years.
    • Valid foreign passport with I-94 or valid processed for I551 stamps.  Valid I-94 issued by Canadian government with L1 or R1 status and a valid Canadian drivers license or valid Canadian identification card.
    • Valid I551 Resident Alien/Permanent Resident card. No border crosser or USA B1/B2
    Visa/BCC cards.
    • Valid I688 Temporary Resident, I688B, and I766 Employment Authorization Card with
    intact photo.
    • Valid US Military ID (active duty, dependent, retired, reserve and National Guard).
    • Tribal Identification Card with intact photo. (U.S. or Canadian)
    • Certificate of Naturalization with intact photo.
    • Certificate of (US) Citizenship with intact photo.
    If you have questions about Secure and Verifiable Identification, please contact the Title and
    Registration Sections at 303-205-5608.

    The identification must be provided by the owner of record or agent if a power of attorney is used.  When a vehicle is titled in the name of a company, the individual shall present a letter of authorization to act on behalf of the company.

    Please see form DR2841

Where do I get a VIN inspection?

      Standard VIN Inspections (Durango Branch only) are required for all

      vehicles and trailers with out-of-state titles. Cost per inspection is $20.

      Durango Branch - (map)
      679 Turner Drive, Suite C Durango, CO 81303

      To obtain Certified VIN inspections contact the state patrol office at (970) 385-1675.

How are my registration/renewal fees calculated?


    Taxable Value: This is calculated using a percentage of the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) and remains constant throughout the life of the vehicle.  The taxable value of passenger cars is 85% of the MSRP; the taxable value of a truck is 75% of the MSRP.

    For example, if the MSRP of your automobile is $20,000, the taxable value is $20,000 x 85% = $17,000.

    Specific Ownership Tax: Using the taxable value of the vehicle, the Specific Ownership Tax is calculated using the following table:

    1st year of service

    2.1% of taxable value

    2nd year of service

    1.5% of taxable value

    3rd year of service

    1.2% of taxable value

    4th year of service

    .9% of taxable value

    5th, 6th ,7th, 8th & 9th

    .45% of taxable value

    10 and all later years


    License fee: This fee is based on the weight of the vehicle (license fee may vary).

Sales Tax - What is the sales tax rate in La Plata County?

    • State Sales Tax rate is 2.9% 
    • La Plata County tax rate is 2%
      • The 2% County tax does not apply for purchases outside of La Plata County.   
    • If you reside in Durango City limits an additional 3% city sales tax is due.  

Late fee  - Is there a late fee if I do not register my vehicle?


    • Purchase - Vehicles must be registered within 60 days from the date of purchase to avoid a late fee.
    • Renewal - There is a one month grace period, after the grace period there is a late fee.
    • Late fees - $25 for each delinquent month, not to exceed $100