The Mission of the Planning Department is to provide land use, resource management, and leadership services to residents, landowners, and businesses so they can experience a prosperous, vibrant and beautiful community supported by a fair and equitable planning process.
What We Do:
The Planning Department provides information to the public and explains regulations regarding land use possibilities in the county. Staff processes land development requests per the County code. Staff also advises decision-makers regarding land use, growth and development issues in our community. The Planning Department combines current planning and long-range planning to best serve the public interest while allowing growth to occur.
The following is a list of branches within the Planning Department:
Agendas and information about upcoming public hearings of the: Board of County Commissioners (BOCC), Planning Commission (PC), Joint Planning Commission (JPC), Historic Preservation Review Commission (HPRC), and Board of Adjustment (BOA) can be found by following the link above.
- Economic Development 101 Presentation. This is part of a continuing education series being offered to members of the public. The presentation will be given by Roger Zalneraitis of the La Plata County Economic Development Alliance with focus on the theoretical and practical application of economic development. It will be presented at the Planning Commission hearing on August 28, 2014 at 6pm in the County Courthouse. If you have questions about the presentation, please call Damian Peduto at 970-382-6271.
- County Road and Driveway Land Use Code Revisions. These were scheduled for a public hearing by the Planning Commission on August 14, 2014, but will be continued. If you would like to provide comments or receive additional information, please submit a Planning Contact Formto the attention of John Deagan.
Flood Plain Management Regulations (LPLUC Chapter 78) Building staff is proposing to update Chapter 78, Floods, to reflect current Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) regulations. These were adopted by the Board of County Commissioners on August 5, 2014.
Land Use Code Revisions Regarding Public Notice Requirements (LPLUC Sections 62-1, 82-9, 82-74, 82-81, 82-83, 83-85, 82-90, 82-92, 82-193, 102-66, & 106-112) were adopted by the Board of County Commissioners on August 5, 2014.
- Nonconformity Minor Revisions (LPLUC Section 82-20) The County Attorney's office has drafted minor revisions regarding compliance and permitting for nonconforming land uses, lots, and structures. These were adopted by the Board of County Commissioners on August 5, 2014.
- Intergovernmental Land Use Code Revisions (LPLUC Chapters 62, 66, 82, 106). These regulations are necessary to implement the provisions of the 2014 Intergovernmental Agreement on Joint Land Use Planning. These were adopted by the Board of County Commissioners on August 5, 2014.
- GCC Energy Final Report - May 8, 2014 Summary of Analytical Activity In Response to Neighborhood Comments In Conjunction with a Permit Expansion of GCC Energy, LLC King II Coal Mine
Recent Land Use Code Adoptions:
- Marijuana Land Use Code Revisions (LPLUC Chapters 62, 82, 91, 94, 106). Adopted June 10, 2014
- The Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) regarding joint land use planning between La Plata County and City of Durango was signed by both jurisdictions on April 1, 2014
- Transitional Area Development Standards (Section 82-187) - Adopted April 1, 2014
- General Land Use Code Revisions (LPLUC Chapters 74, 82, 102) - Adopted April 1, 2014
- Transitional Area Overlay Zone Map - Adopted March 18, 2014
- Medical to Retail Marijuana Facility Conversion (LPLUC Chapters 62, 82, 91, 94, 106) - Adopted February 11, 2014
- Telecommunications Facility Regulations (LPLUC Chapters 82 and 106) - Adopted January 21, 2014
- Oil and Gas - Amendment to Notice Requirements (LPLUC Chapter 90) - Adopted January 21, 2014
- Minor Corrections (LPLUC Chapter 82) - Adopted November 5, 2013
- Additional Dwelling Units (LPLUC Chapters 62, 82) - Adopted August 20, 2013
- Special Events and Temporary Uses (LPLUC Chapter 82) - Adopted August 20, 2013
- Animas Valley 1 Acre Minimum, lot size (LPLUC Chapter 106) - Adopted February 5, 2013
- Deletion of Land Use Scoring System (LPLUC Chapters 70, 82, 102) - Adopted February 5, 2013
- Special Events on County Roads (Chapter 42) - Adopted February 5, 2013
- Non-conformities (LPLUC Chapters 82, 106) - Adopted February 5, 2013
- Land Use Permits and Amendments (LPLUC Chapter 82) - Adopted January 29, 2013
- Lot Design Specifications (LPLUC Chapter 62, 102) - Adopted January 29, 2013