The Mission of the Planning Department is to provide land use, resource management, and leadership services to residents, landowners, and businesses so they can experience a prosperous, vibrant and beautiful community supported by a fair and equitable planning process.
What We Do:
The Planning Department provides information to the public and explains regulations regarding land use possibilities in the county. Staff processes land development requests per the County code. Staff also advises decision-makers regarding land use, growth and development issues in our community. The Planning Department combines current planning and long-range planning to best serve the public interest while allowing growth to occur.
The following is a list of branches within the Planning Department:
Agendas and information about upcoming public hearings of the: Board of County Commissioners (BOCC), Planning Commission (PC), Joint Planning Commission (JPC), Historic Preservation Review Commission (HPRC), and Board of Adjustment (BOA) can be found by following the link above.
- Land Use Code Revisions regarding public notice requirements (LPLUC Sections 62-1, 82-9, 82-74, 82-81, 82-83, 83-85, 82-90, 82-92, 82-193, 102-66, & 106-112) will be considered by the Board of County Commissioners on April 15, 2014. If you would like to provide comments or receive additional information, please submit a Planning Contact Form to the attention of John Deagan.
- GCC Energy Final Report - November 25, 2013 Summary of Analytical Activity In Response to Neighborhood Comments In Conjunction with a Permit Expansion of GCC Energy, LLC King II Coal Mine
Recent Land Use Code Adoptions:
- The NEW Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) regarding joint land use planning between La Plata County and City of Durango was signed by both jurisdictions on April 1, 2014
- Transitional Area Development Standards - Section 82-187 - Adopted April 1, 2014
- General Land Use Code Revisions - Sections 74-112 & 113, 82-161, 165, 175, 178, 182, 188, 189, 203, & 102-107 - Adopted April 1, 2014
- Transitional Area Overlay Zone Map - Adopted March 18, 2014
- Telecommunications Facility Regulations - Adopted January 21, 2014
- Oil and Gas- Chapter 90- Amendment to Notice Requirements - Adopted January 21, 2014