The Mission of the Planning Department is to provide land use, resource management, and leadership services to residents, landowners, and businesses so they can experience a prosperous, vibrant and beautiful community supported by a fair and equitable planning process.
What We Do:
The Planning Department provides information to the public and explains regulations regarding land use possibilities in the county. Staff processes land development requests per the County code. Staff also advises decision-makers regarding land use, growth and development issues in our community. The Planning Department combines current planning and long-range planning to best serve the public interest while allowing growth to occur.
The following is a list of branches within the Planning Department:
Agendas and information about upcoming public hearings of the: Board of County Commissioners (BOCC), Planning Commission (PC), Joint Planning Commission (JPC), Historic Preservation Review Commission (HPRC), and Board of Adjustment (BOA) can be found by following the link above.
- Driveway Standards Code Revision - Consideration of Land Use Code amendments to modify design standards and permitting requirements for driveways. This item is scheduled to be heard by the Planning Commission on November 20, 2014 at 6pm. If you would like to provide comments please call Jim Davis (970) 382-6372 or Paul Kosnik (970) 382-8600.
- Telecommunications Facility Regulations Minor Changes - Consideration of code changes to explicitly allow for the removal of facilities, to change the review of new antennae on towers from a Class II to a Administrative process, and to allow applicant's engineers to certify compliance with FCC electromagnetic emissions standards. Anticipated to be heard by the Planning Commission on December 11, 2014. If you would like to provide comments please call John Deagan at (970) 382-6480.
- Animas Valley Zoning Commissions Removal - Proposal to remove the Bruce Lane, Central Animas Valley, Hermosa Animas Valley, and Hermosa Creek Zoning Commissions from the land use code. These Commissions have not been staffed for several years. The proposal would not remove any special regulations associated with these zoning districts. If you would like to provide comments please call John Deagan at (970) 382-6480.
- GCC Energy Final Report - May 8, 2014 Summary of Analytical Activity In Response to Neighborhood Comments In Conjunction with a Permit Expansion of GCC Energy, LLC King II Coal Mine
Recent Land Use Code Adoptions:
- Public Notice Provisions (LPLUC Sections 62-1, 82-9, 82-74, 82-81, 82-83, 83-85, 82-90, 82-92, 82-193, 102-66, & 106-112). Adopted August 5, 2014
- Intergovernmental Land Use Code Revisions (LPLUC Chapters 62, 66, 82, 106). Adopted August 5, 2014
- Nonconformity Minor Revisions (LPLUC Section 82-20). Adopted August 5, 2014
- Flood Plain Management Regulations (LPLUC Chapter 78). Adopted August 5, 2014
- Marijuana Land Use Code Revisions (LPLUC Chapters 62, 82, 91, 94, 106). Adopted June 10, 2014
- The Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) regarding joint land use planning between La Plata County and City of Durango was signed by both jurisdictions on April 1, 2014
- Transitional Area Development Standards (Section 82-187) - Adopted April 1, 2014
- General Land Use Code Revisions (LPLUC Chapters 74, 82, 102) - Adopted April 1, 2014
- Transitional Area Overlay Zone Map - Adopted March 18, 2014
- Medical to Retail Marijuana Facility Conversion (LPLUC Chapters 62, 82, 91, 94, 106) - Adopted February 11, 2014
- Telecommunications Facility Regulations (LPLUC Chapters 82 and 106) - Adopted January 21, 2014
- Oil and Gas - Amendment to Notice Requirements (LPLUC Chapter 90) - Adopted January 21, 2014
- Minor Corrections (LPLUC Chapter 82) - Adopted November 5, 2013
- Additional Dwelling Units (LPLUC Chapters 62, 82) - Adopted August 20, 2013
- Special Events and Temporary Uses (LPLUC Chapter 82) - Adopted August 20, 2013
- Animas Valley 1 Acre Minimum, lot size (LPLUC Chapter 106) - Adopted February 5, 2013
- Deletion of Land Use Scoring System (LPLUC Chapters 70, 82, 102) - Adopted February 5, 2013
- Special Events on County Roads (Chapter 42) - Adopted February 5, 2013
- Non-conformities (LPLUC Chapters 82, 106) - Adopted February 5, 2013
- Land Use Permits and Amendments (LPLUC Chapter 82) - Adopted January 29, 2013
- Lot Design Specifications (LPLUC Chapter 62, 102) - Adopted January 29, 2013