The Mission of the Planning Department is to provide land use, resource management, and leadership services to residents, landowners, and businesses so they can experience a prosperous, vibrant and beautiful community supported by a fair and equitable planning process.
What We Do:
The Planning Department provides information to the public and explains regulations regarding land use possibilities in the county. Staff processes land development requests per the County code. Staff also advises decision-makers regarding land use, growth and development issues in our community. The Planning Department combines current planning and long-range planning to best serve the public interest while allowing growth to occur.
The following is a list of branches within the Planning Department:
Upcoming Public Event:
The Board of Adjustment Meeting scheduled for March 5th has been cancelled.
- Comments from members of the public and the City of Durango have been received and incorporated into the proposed Transitional Area Development Standards (TADS). The TADS are designed to be adopted for application within a defined overlay zone adjacent to the City of Durango. In addition to the TADS, staff is also advancing general Land Use Code revisions that would apply Countywide. The three (3) documents are provided below for your review. If you would like to submit comments on the proposed regulations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DRAFT Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) regarding joint land use planning between La Plata County and City of Durango will be available for public review in early March 2014.
- GCC ENERGY FINAL REPORT - NOVEMBER 25, 2013 Summary of Analytical Activity In Response to Neighborhood Comments In Conjunction with a Permit Expansion of GCC Energy, LLC King II Coal Mine
- DURANGO MOUNTAIN RESORT - DEVELOPMENT AGREEMENT 5-YEAR REVIEW
- Medical and Retail Marijuana Licensing Information
Recent Land Use Code Adoptions:
- Telecommunications Facility Regulations/ Adopted January 21, 2014
- Oil and Gas- Chapter 90- Amendment to Notice Requirements/ Adopted January 21, 2014