4-H is open to urban and rural youth ages 5 to 19. More than 300 La Plata County youth participate in local club, county, state and national activities. Members acquire life skills by working with individual projects and in club activities.
Enrollment is now OPEN for the 2014-2015 4-H Year.
If you are interested in joining, please contact the Extension Office at 970-382-6465.
2014 La Plata County Fair Information and Fair Book - 2015 Fair Dates: August 5th to 9th
Sign up to receive our 4H Blog!
4-H Information and Enrollment Forms:
**Returning Members can register at https://colorado.4honline.com ** Click here for step by step instructions on registering online.
- La Plata County 4-H Clubs
- Project List
- Member Enrollment Form - Enrollment is CLOSED for 2015
- Add Drop Form
- Adult Volunteer Enrollment Form - Enrollment is CLOSED for 2015
- 2015 Calendar of Events
- List of Project Experts
- Horse Certificate - Due in to the Extension Office by May 29th, 2015
- Animal Care & Housing
- Code Of Practice
Summer Fun Days
June 5th – S.T.E.M Adventure Day
- The S.T.E.M. Adventure Day is open to all Junior and Intermediate 4-H members. This is a fun day where we will start at the Extension building with some games, then go on a nature walk along the Animas River, and arrive at the Durango Discovery Museum. We will spend a few hours at the Museum exploring the wonderful world of Science!! We will have a picnic lunch along the River and then take a nature walk back to the Extension building. The day will run from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. with lunch and admission into the Durango Discovery Museum provided. Please call or email the Extension office to sign-up. We will limit the day to the first 20 members.
June 11th – General Projects Day
- Are you interested or already enrolled in any of these projects: Leathercraft, Cake Decorating, or Heritage Arts. Please come and get help with your project, or if you are not enrolled, please come and see if you would like to ADD this project and get started. We are making a special exception for these projects to be added after the deadline, ONLY if you attend the General Projects Day. The workshops will go from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and lunch will be provided. Please call or email the Extension office to sign-up and please indicate what project you will be participating in.
June 15th to 19th - Durango to Denver Exchange (D2D)
We will be taking 5 girls and 5 boys, between the ages of 10 and 13, and partnering with 10 Denver County 4-H Members, for a fun filled week of events in Durango and Denver!
The events will include:
Giving Back Garden! Tour the Old Fort
Mesa Verde National Park
Lakeside Amusement Park
Sand Dunes National Park
Denver Downtown Activities and Much, much more!!
If you are interested, please fill out an application is here or the Extension Office and turn it into the Extension Office, by June 5th.
June 22nd – 26th – Colorado State 4-H Conference – “4-H…The Road to Success!”
- Senior members are invited to take place in this great Leadership event at Colorado State University in Ft. Collins, CO. The State Conference will host Livestock Judging, Horse Judging, Knowledge Bowls and Speech and Demonstration Contests. In addition, members can participate in educational seminars and meet 4-H’ers from around the State. La Plata County 4-H can provide transportation and a sizeable discount for members who want to attend. Registration forms are available here & the Extension Office. Registration is due Friday, May 8th at 5:00 pm.
June 27th – Old Fort Jackpot
- This annual event will take place at the Old Fort Lewis Campus in Hesperus, CO. This is a great opportunity to practice your showmanship and in the ring skills. This contest will have Steer, Sheep and Goat classes being judged. Registration will be morning of the Jackpot. For more information or how to volunteer to help out, please contact Beth LaShell at 970.759.1387
July 19th – Livestock Day at the Fairgrounds (Large Animals)
- Livestock Day will run from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. and we will provide snacks. We will start out in the Animas room to talk on ethics, feeding and Record Book assistance. Then we will head down to the Pavilion and will allow members an opportunity to learn about grooming and showmanship skills for Beef, Sheep, Goat and Swine projects. Please call or email the Extension office to sign-up.
July 16th - Final Record Book, Display Board and Project Assistance Day!
- Come to the Extension Office anytime between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to finalize your livestock and general project record books, display boards and projects. Feel free to bring in your project and work on it all day. Greg will be available to help you with those last minute questions that you may have. Refreshments and snacks will be available throughout the day. No registration is required, just stop in when you can.
***If you would like to bring a non-4-H member to one of our local events, please let the Extension Office know and we will make the proper arrangements for a potential new 4-H’er!
2015 LIVESTOCK RECORD BOOKS & Guide Books
These record books are for all Beef, Swine, Sheep, Goat, Poultry, & Rabbit projects.
These record books are different than the State 4-H issued ones, so please only use these.
NEW 4-H APP!!! This App will help you keep track of your costs, income & activities for your animal project https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/4-h-livestock-record/id898568078?mt=8
****Be sure to download the Guide Book as well****
***All Livestock, Horse. Dog, and Community Service Record Books are Due the week of July 20th - 24th, 2015. The deadline is 5:00pm on Friday July 24th.
- Junior Guide Book - Step by Step Instructions to the Junior Record Book
- Junior Judges Score Sheet
Below are the Junior Supplement Pages. You will only need to print these pages if you are filling out your record book by hand and run out of space on pages 7 & 10. If you are filling out your record book on the computer, it will automatically add more lines as you need them.
- Intermediate Guide Book - Step by Step Instructions to the Intermediate Record Book
- Intermediate Judges Score Sheet
Below are the Intermediate Supplement Pages. You will only need to print these pages if you are filling out your record book by hand and run out of space on pages 7 & 10. If you are filling out your record book on the computer, it will automatically add more lines as you need them.
- Senior Guide Book - Step by Step Instructions to the Senior Record Book
- Senior Judges Score Sheet
Below are the Senior Supplement Pages. You will only need to print these pages if you are filling out your record book by hand and run out of space on pages 4, 5, 7 & 10. If you are filling out your record book on the computer, it will automatically add more lines as you need them.
- Senior Supplement Page 4
- Senior Supplement Page 5
- Senior Supplement Page 7
- Senior Supplement Page 10
Breeding Supplements - for Junior, Intermediate & Senior
- Breeding Beef Record (word) (PDF)
- Dairy Cow Record (word) (PDF)
- Ewe Record (word) (PDF)
- Breeding Goat (word) (PDF)
- Dairy Goat (word) (PDF)
- Angora Goats (word) (PDF)
- Cashmere Goats (word) (PDF)
- Utility Goat (word) (PDF)
- Individual Rabbit - Buck (word) (PDF)
- Individual Rabbit - Doe (word) (PDF)
- Individual Rabbit - Litter (word) (PDF)
- Poultry Egg Production Record (word) (PDF)
- Sow Record (word) (PDF)
Horse Record Books & Information
- Senior Horse Record Book (exl) (PDF)
- Intermediate Record Book (exl) (PDF)
- Junior Record Book (exl) (PDF)
- Horse Record Book Score Sheet - all ages
- La Plata County 4-H Horse Project Guidelines for Completion and Important Dates of Events
- Horse Safety Test - Due in to the Extension Office by May 29th, 2015
- Horse Certificate - Due into the Extension Office by May 29th, 2015
Horse Project - Important Dates & Entry Forms
- Gymkhana in Ignacio- Sunday, April 26th @ 9:30 am
- Horse Camp – May 1st – 3rd
More Information Below
- Spring Fling in Durango
Horse Show - Saturday, May 16th @ 9 am
Gymkhana - Sunday, May 17th @ 9:30 am
- Invitational in Durango
Horse Show - Saturday, June 13th @ 9 am
Gymkhana - Sunday, June 14th @ 9:30 am
- San Juan Basin District in Durango
Horse Show - Saturday, July 11th @ 9 am
Gymkhana - Sunday, July 12th@ 9:30 am
Horse Certificates are due by June 1st at 5:00 pm
Horse Safety Take Home Test due by June 1st at 5:00 pm *Test is coming soon*
Horse Camp - May 1st – 3rd
This year’s 17th Annual 4-H Horse Camp looks like it’s going to be better than ever. This camp is open to any and all 4-H members (you do not have to be enrolled in the 4-H Horse Project to participate) in the San Juan Basin (Archuleta, Dolores, La Plata and Montezuma Counties) and will begin on Friday night and conclude on Sunday afternoon.
If you haven’t been to 4-H Horse Camp before, we will begin, on Friday, with dinner at 6:30 p.m. On Saturday, we will have clinics, games and swimming. Then Sunday we will have more games before cleaning up and it will be over by about 2:00 pm
To enhance the camping experience, bring your tent and lawn chair. We are going to set up tents downstairs in the Exhibit Hall. We will also be going swimming on Saturday evening so don’t forget your bathing suit and towel.
Registration is limited to the first 40 youth.
Dog Record Book & Info.
- Junior Dog Record Book word (PDF)
- Intermediate Dog Record Book word (PDF)
- Senior Dog Record Book word (PDF)
- Record Book Score Sheet - all ages word (PDF)
General/Natural Resources - Record Books and Project Information
- Ceramics - All Units
- Global Citizenship
- Horseless Horse
- Model Rocketry - All Units
- Outdoor Adventures
- Photography - Levels 1-3
- Photography - Lightning Photography Unit 4
- Photography - Unit 6
- Photography - Film-making Unit 7
- Power of Wind
- Small Engines - Units 1-3
- Small Engines - Unit 4
- Sports Fishing –All Units
- Vet. Science
- Visual Arts –All Units
- Wildlife - All Units
- Woodworking - All Units
Companion Animal Book & Info.
Companion Animal are for those that do not have a tradidional 4-H animal. If you have a pet rabbit (not breeding or market), cavey, cat, fish, toad, ect. you are welcome to do the Companion Animal. You will be required to complete a record book (below), do a project board and complete an interview at Fair. Please contact the 4-H office if you have any questions.
- Junior Companion Record Book word (PDF)
- Intermediate Companion Record Book word (PDF)
- Senior Companion Record Book word (PDF)
4-H Shooting Sports - Record Books and Project Information
Family & Consumer Science - Record Books and Project Information
- Artistic Clothing
- Baking Units 21-24
- Breads Units 11-14
- Cake Decorating - All Units
- Child Development
- Clothing Construction - All Units
- Foods and Nutrition - Units 1-4
- Foods and Nutrition - Bread e-Record Units 11-14
- Foods and Nutrition - Baking Units 21-24
- Foods and Nutrition - Oudoor Cooking and Living Unit 25
- Foods and Nutrition - Cultural Foods Unit 30
- Foods and Nutrition - Passport to Foreign Cookery Unit 35
- Foods and Nutrition - Food Preservation Units 40-43
- Heritage Arts - All projects
- Home Environment - All Units
Self-Determine - County Project e-Record
- January 2014 HUBS
- February 2014 HUBS
- March 2014 HUBS
- April 2014 HUBS
- May 2014 HUBS
- June 2014 HUBS
- July 2014 HUBS
- Mid August 2014 HUBS
- September 2014 HUBS
- October 2014 HUBS
- November 2014 HUBS
- December 2014 HUBS
Additional information on the 4-H program is also available at www.colorado4h.org.